|Township of Edwardsburgh Cardinal|
Location: Spencerville, Ontario
Posted: August 10th 2017
Deadline: August 24th, 2017
Salary: $17.00 per hour
The Township of Edwardsburgh/Cardinal, with a population of 6,900 is located in Spencerville. The municipality borders the majestic St. Lawrence River Seaway to the south, and includes the industrial Village of Cardinal and the historic seat of municipal government, the Village of Spencerville, as well as numerous rural hamlets.
Located at the intersection of arterial Highways 401 and 416, we are less than an hour's drive from Kingston, Cornwall, and Ottawa.
We are currently recruiting for a Recreation Coordinator to join our municipal team. This is a one-year contract position with potential for renewal.
About The Position
Under the direction of the Manager of Parks, Recreation & Facilities the Recreation Coordinator is responsible and accountable for the ongoing planning, development, facilitation and evaluation of, where required, all sport, recreation, healthy living, and leisure programs for implementation in the community for all ages and abilities. Additional duties include:
- Work in co-operation with community groups and agencies, according to their needs and municipal policy, to ensure that a wide range of sport, social, and recreational programs are provided across the municipality without duplication or barriers.
- Promote programs, seek out activity volunteers and leaders and provide assistance to community-initiated programs as needed including through advertising and promotional efforts.
- Inventory existing programs, complete needs assessments to determine the programs that are required and facilitate the creation and implementation of the most appropriate programs.
- Attend monthly Recreation Advisory Committee meetings and provide statistical reporting to this committee and council.
- Be responsible for seeking out and applying for grant funding opportunities and for suggesting recommendations to the Manager of Parks, Recreation & Facilities for consideration of committee and council.
- Develop, coordinate, promote and evaluate recreational programs for all ages and abilities.
- Ensure an opportunity for a variety of safe, accessible and appropriate recreational activities to occur in the recreational facilities within the township with no or very limited barriers (accessibility, financial, demographical etc.)
- Develop, coordinate and assist with the implementation of special events for all age based on community needs and wants and actively participate in specific community operated events when necessary. Ensure best practices and standards are followed in the development and implementation of programs and special events.
- Establish and maintain appropriate public relations in the community.
- Respond to community needs and public inquiries/complaints as they relate to recreation programming.
- Promote and publicize all recreation/leisure programs and services through the incorporation of media sources, and direct customer and community contact.
- Develop, recommend and implement recreation programming based policies and procedures.
- Organize, coordinate and facilitate meetings with individuals, user groups, schools, community groups, etc., assisting with their needs as required (access to facilities, promotion, connections with other groups, etc)
- Coordinate community recreation resources and encourage communication and cooperation among partners involved in the provision of their recreational and cultural services to avoid duplication of efforts and better meet community needs.
- Liaise with the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Recreation and other municipal, provincial and national organizations and government departments to enhance the delivery of recreational and cultural services in the Township of Edwardsburgh Cardinal.
- Seek out, recommend and administer funding programs to maximize recreation opportunities.
- Develop and maintains a complete inventory of recreation resources within the municipality.
- Collect, evaluate and provide statistical reporting to recreation advisory committee and council based on user surveys and other statistical information gathering exercises.
- Attend Recreation Advisory Committee meetings (evenings).
- Responsible and accountable for special assignments as assigned by the Manager of Parks, Recreation and Facilities such as energy management reporting.
- Liaise with recreation and public works staff to maximize efficient use of facilities.
- Attend parks and recreation programs, workshops, meetings, and events, beyond the normal workday when necessary.
- Assist with the duties of the day-to-day operations of the facilities booking system, when required.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
- 2-5 years recreation management experience in a municipal or similar setting
- Post-secondary education in recreation or equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience
- Experience in staff/volunteer supervision
- Working knowledge of current recreation trends
- Proficiency in report writing, budget management, time management, defining goals and objectives and priority setting
- Strong communication skills and ability to appropriately deal with a number of different target populations
- Strong ability in recreation program design, development, implementation and evaluation
- Proficiency in gathering information, setting priorities and providing direction and sound judgement with respect to recreation related matters
- Strong ability to successfully interface with the community, other levels of government and consultants
- Experience in grant writing and awareness of resources that exist to assist with recreation programming costs
- Experience with and understanding of effective advertising and promotional techniques
- Valid driver’s license and access to personal vehicle
Click here for a complete job description.
The Township offers a comprehensive benefit package and is an OMERS employer. The wage will be $17.00 per hour for a 35 hour work week.
Please send cover letter and resume to Mike Spencer, Manager of Parks, Recreation and Facilities by Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 4:00pm.
Please be advised, interviews are anticipated to take place during the week of August 28- September 1, 2017. The anticipated start date for the Recreation Coordinator is September 25, 2017.
The Township of Edwardsburgh Cardinal is an equal opportunity employer following all rules and regulation set out by the human rights code and the integrated accessibility standards regulation. Accommodations for persons with disabilities where needed will be made available.
|Mike Spencer, Manager of Parks, Recreation and Facilities|
Township of Edwardsburgh Cardinal
PO Box 129, 18 Center Street,
Spencerville, Ontario, Canada
Please indicate you found this job on easternontariojobs.com|