Marketing and Communications Coordinator
Marketing and Communications Coordinator
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posted: August 2nd 2017
Deadline: September 2nd, 2017
The Royal is one of Canada’s foremost mental health care and academic health science centres. Our mandate is simple: to get more people living with mental illness into recovery faster. The Royal combines the delivery of specialized mental health care, advocacy, research and education to transform the lives of people with complex and treatment resistant mental illness.
We are currently recruiting for a Marketing and Communications Coordinator for
the Royal's Institute of Mental Health Research (IMHR), affiliated with the University of Ottawa. This is a part-time, contract position until March 31, 2021.
The IKTP-YMH network, hosted at the Institute of Mental Health Research, is an international platform designed to advance youth mental health and addiction practice and make a significant impact on youth well-being in Canada and across the world. By focusing on knowledge exchange to promote the use of youth-centered integrated services, the IKTP-YMH will serve as a needed bridge between research, policy and practice to improve mental health services. This will be achieved through the facilitation of local action, national collaboration and international knowledge mobilization.
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator is a creative and collaborative individual responsible for developing materials and tools in support of IKTP-YMH strategic objectives, research programs and initiatives. An exceptional writer, the Marketing and Communications Coordinator supports IKTP-YMH strategic direction through the management, development and implementation of a comprehensive communications strategy; including effective and ongoing internal and external communications, stakeholder relationship development and linkages with community partners and media; and for all public relations locally, provincially, nationally and internationally through media coverage, promotion of events, activities, and achievements of IKTP-YMH. Working with other IKTP-YMH staff, the Coordinator ensures an efficient and effective process that delivers useful stakeholder resources in a timely way. She/he is also responsible for managing the communications team, marketing and promotion of the IKTP-YMH brand and products in addition to the coordination of all IKTP-YMH communications to ensure consistency in messaging, and that appropriate and effective methods are utilized and responsive media relations.
- Develop and execute effective strategies that are part of a comprehensive communications plan to ensure timely, responsive, and appropriate communication between all stakeholders
- Coordinate and oversee the planning, design, and implementation of advertising or public-awareness campaigns.
- Create, develop, and promote marketing strategies
- Develop and distribute media releases, and bring newsworthy stories/ initiatives that support IKTP-YMH to the attention of appropriate media contacts
- Assist in the development and implementation of a plan that leverages cross-promotion initiatives, communication and activities among IKTP-YMH's key knowledge mobilization projects.
- Supervise the production of annual reports, including developing feature themes; photography, graphic, content development and final production;
- Plan and implement strategic media opportunities and events on behalf of the IKTP-YMH, including issuing advisories, releases, and backgrounders as required.
- Collaborate with senior management to support knowledge mobilization practices, including identifying opportunities in print media, broadcast, online and social media;
- Support the Co-Scientific Directors and the Director of Operations through development of communications materials such as presentations, speaking notes and news articles;
- Provide support to IKTP-YMH team for media requests and media events, including press conferences, official openings and appreciation events, as appropriate;
- Develop and implement communications' sub-strategies tailored to different stakeholders, including the philanthropy, policy and service-provider communities and related target audiences, in alignment with IKTP-YMH strategic plans
- Write and edit promotional and resource materials including annual reports, website content, speaking notes, presentations, pamphlets, newsletters, backgrounders;
- Responsible for ensuring that IKTP-YMH's website is continually updated with relevant content
- Develop and implement communications tools in support of research events
- Work with external partners on joint projects to ensure consistent messaging and mutual communication goals are met;
- Define measurement criteria for evaluating marketing and communication plans and their execution and effectiveness, and propose changes that will improve plans for future years.
- Establish and maintain credible contacts with various journalists in order to increase profile of IKTP-YMH in the media.
- Coordinate graphic design features of publications as required.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or related field
- Minimum of five years of communications experience, including some in a leadership role
- Experience in the health and/or academic research environment;
- Experience with a proven understanding of internal/external organizational communications
- Experience in developing communications strategies and a variety of communications products for different audiences
- Strong writing, copy editing and proofreading skills
- Aptitude for design and layout; style and aesthetic skills in the design of graphic work, ads, and displays
- Ability to utilize computer technology to support communications projects, including knowledge of social media, layout, and web-based publishing software and other emerging technologies and communications practices
- Superior writing skills, marketing/promotion experience, brand management expertise
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate well with team members, a strong ability to network and build relationships with a broad range of stakeholders and to facilitate the development of partnerships
- Excellent organizational, time and project management skills, with demonstrated
- Ability to work in a complex, high-pressure environment with aggressive timelines
- Ability to manage competing priorities and a diverse task load, multi-task, problem solve, and produce and coordinate projects with tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and for self-directed learning; ability to learn new information quickly and to stay current with new innovations
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential/sensitive information
- English level A+ is mandatory in oral expression, comprehension, reading and superior writing skills
- Fluently bilingual in English and French
- Demonstrated sound editing skills in both English and French
Preferred (would be an asset):
- Experience in media relations
- Strong understanding of the youth mental health sector and related issues
All applicants must provide a recent resume that clearly indicates that they meet the required qualifications. Please submit three writing samples (e.g., news release, article, newsletter or website content) as well as a sample communications strategy with your application.
Please submit applications by email.
IKTP-YMH sincerely thanks all applicants for their interest in a career with us; however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Please indicate you found this job on easternontariojobs.com|