The Arnprior and District Family Health Team (ADFHT) is seeking an experienced leader to join our dynamic organization. ADFHT is comprised of 15 family physicians, twelve interdisciplinary health providers, and administrative staff. This is a full-time position requiring expertise in primary health care reform, strategic and program planning, program delivery, financial and human resource management. The Executive Director leads a team of interdisciplinary health care providers, administrative staff, and community partners to provide quality health care services and programs for the residents of Arnprior and the surrounding area.
Responsible for the overall operation of the ADFHT and reporting to a volunteer mixed physician and community-led Board of Directors, the Executive Director plans the advancement of the organization while managing the day-to-day business.
Role of the Executive Director:
The Executive Director (ED) provides effective leadership and operational management of all activities in the Family Health Team. It is a position of leadership, requiring excellent interpersonal skills, planning skills and management expertise. The ED works in close collaboration with the lead physician to achieve the FHT’s goals and objectives. Together they provide clinical and administrative oversight and direction to the Family Health Team. The ED reports directly to the Board of Directors.
Strategic Planning and Implementation
- Assists the Board to develop and implement strategic plans that fulfill the mission of the FHT. The strategic plans should guide the development of programs and services.
- Translates the Board’s goals, objectives and strategic directions into operational plans and activities in accordance with the approved business plan.
- Develops appropriate measurement tools and indicators to monitor progress of the strategic plan and reports these to the Board .
- Effectively manages the day to day operations of the Family Health Team.
- Liaises with all staff and team members, including all physicians, all interdisciplinary health professionals and administrative staff.
- Liaises with Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
- Coordinates activities and communication between FHT and community partners.
- Oversees maintenance of all office systems including telephones and office equipment.
- Materials management and human resource management.
- Plans and oversees staff training on all office systems including EMR, record keeping, computer networks, telephones, etc.
- Coordinates and plans regular meetings of the team members, the Board of Directors, and advisory board (if applicable).
- Other duties as from time to time may be required.
- Supervises all day to day bookkeeping and record keeping for FHT activities.
- Budget preparation, expenditure control within the approved budget, provision of financial reports to the Board and the ministry, preparation of financials for audit.
- Develops, implements and maintains an effective process for facilities management, purchasing and information management systems.
- Develops, implements and maintains effective internal control and due diligence processes to manage risk (eg. business continuity planning, insurance, regulatory obligations, etc).
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with community partners, stakeholders and the general public (including but not limited to the LHIN, hospital, CCAC, community services and providers).
- Develops and provides effective communications and public relations strategies and support to the FHT.
- Effectively and positively represents the FHT to the public, to funders, and to partners and stakeholders.
Team Building and Collaboration
- Assists physicians and FHT staff to maintain a collaborative, group practice.
- Assists in development of office protocols for effective collaborative practice.
- Contributes to the development of an effective team of health care providers.
- Develops and implements strategies to manage change and optimize the contributions of all staff.
- Provides leadership and contributes to the effectiveness of the team through open and honest communication.
- Provides regular reports to the Board of Directors and lead physician on the status of programs, human resource issues, financial updates, pending issues, Ministry updates, etc.
- Works closely with the lead physician to develop and implement programs, monitor progress, and ensure smooth day to day functioning of the FHT.
Programs and Services Development and Monitoring
- Contributes to the development and implementation of FHT programs and services; assesses staffing requirements and staffing allocation; prepares and submits funding requests as required.
- Ensures that appropriate systems are in place to enhance service provision and protect patient confidentiality.
- Ensures required program delivery reports for the MOHLTC are accurate, outcome-based and submitted on time.
- Contributes to plans to continuously improve programs and delivery
- In consultation with the Board, plans and undertakes patient satisfaction measures.
- Maintains an understanding and awareness of privacy legislation as it pertains to the healthcare field.
- Acts as the privacy officer for the FHT.
- Develops comprehensive orientation materials to introduce new staff to the values, mission, and operational procedures of the FHT.
- In collaboration with the Lead Physician, recruits, orients and trains administrative staff and health professionals.
- Provides direct supervision of all FHT staff. The lead physician shall support the Executive Director through the provision of clinical supervision of interdisciplinary staff.
- Ensures all staff have access to human resource policy guidelines.
- Monitors and maintains records for all staff. Records to include sick time, holidays, lieu time, other leave, etc.
- Ensures that all staff undergo regular performance reviews as outlined in the human tesource manual.
- Develops, implements and maintains effective strategies and programs for staff recruitment, retention, performance management, development and training, and succession planning.