Scientists in School is a leading science education charity, with a winning model for sparking children's interest in STEM and the environment through half-day, hands-on workshops in classroom and community settings. Under the guidance of a science expert, children from Kindergarten to Grade 8 become the scientists and engineers, and develop the 21st century skills needed for tomorrow's modern workforce. Each year we engage close to 700,000 eager children and youth.
If you love science, enjoy working with elementary school children and teachers, possess excellent presentation and organizational skills and the flexibility of managing your own work schedule, this opportunity may be for you. These are part-time contract positions with a volunteer component. Presenters are paid a fee for workshop presentations.
We currently are looking for presenters in the following areas:
- Peterborough/Kawartha Regions
- Ottawa: English, French and bilingual presenters
- Rural Eastern Ontario serving Leeds-Grenville, Stormont Dundas and Glengarry, and Lanark Counties
We are looking for mature individuals who have a background in science, engineering or technology. Individuals with a Bachelor of Education or ECE degree may also be considered for some positions.
- Delivers high quality hands-on interactive presentations in accordance with Scientists in School’s mandate
- Participates in training program and in ongoing development opportunities as recommended
- Prepares presentation kit and maintains materials in a safe and professional condition
- Communicates with teachers on a timely basis to schedule and confirm assigned workshops
- Maintains accurate record of workshop dates and presentation status through presenter portal
- Submits expense reports to Scientists in School on a monthly basis
- Continually strives to enhance classroom workshops and their associated resource materials
- Participates in Presenter Organizational meetings. Shares ideas with other presenters through consultation and team meetings
- Adheres to safety guidelines as outlined in the Scientists in School Safety Manual
- Interacts in a positive and professional manner with school administration, support personnel, classroom teachers and parent volunteers
Once selected, you will be required to apply for and obtain a satisfactory Police Records Check for the vulnerable sector.
To apply, send your cover letter and resume via email. No phone calls please.
Please mention where you saw this job posting in your cover letter.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.